At Prudent Lenders, we understand you’re tirelessly engaged in meeting the needs of your small business customers. Sometimes, this means working with customer who aren’t U.S. citizens, but who own or lead companies applying for U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)-backed loans. In cases like these, we’re here to help with SBA guidelines.
Who needs to be cleared by SBA for approval?
The SBA requires anyone who is not a U.S. citizen to gain clearance, including Legal Permanent Residents and Resident Aliens. This applies to all borrowers who own 20% or more of the company. Clearance for non-U.S. citizens is not typically difficult to obtain, though each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We recommend factoring in plenty of time to account for the SBA’s review and approval.
How to obtain clearance
If you’re a current Prudent Lenders client, this step-by-step overview will ensure the eligibility process is simpler for you and your clients. Not a client? Learn more about Prudent Lenders’ SBA lender service provider services.
Step 1: Collect required documents
You’ll need to collect the following documents from your borrower:
- Copy of the Immigration Documents: both sides of the Lawful Permanent Resident card; Resident Alien card; Employment card, or Visa card; and I-94 Form.
- Copy of the Form G-845: Prudent Lenders will prepare the Form upon receipt of immigration documents. This is submitted to SBA for review.
- Verification Request: Prudent Lenders will prepare this Form. The document is to be signed by the Applicant and returned to Prudent Lenders.
Step 2: Submit to the SBA
Prudent Lenders is not allowed to submit clearance requests on behalf of lenders. Lenders must register and submit all clearance documents. Please share all correspondence with your Prudent Lenders Relationship Manager.
To submit clearance requests to the SBA:
- Send an email to Sacramento504Register@sba.gov requesting registration permissions. Your registration allows you to check the immigration status on new SBA loan applicants. SBA will provide you with the necessary steps to register.
- Once registered, submit all documents (listed in step #1) as a single PDF to SacramentoAlienVerification@sba.gov. Submission is for clearance requests and status confirmations. You will receive an email response in three-to-four days providing results and clearances. Once received, please forward the SBA response email to your Prudent Lenders Relationship Manager.
- The information on all forms submitted for clearance must accurately match the applicant’s legal immigration document(s).
- Please send requested information from your registered e-mail address. If you are verifying multiple individuals, please send two separate e-mails (i.e. one e-mail and one attachment per individual).
- Requested documentation can only be accepted as a PDF file. A PDF file cannot exceed 12 MB.
- Once the verification is complete, an e-mail will be sent to you with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) verification response, indicating whether subjects are lawful permanent residents. The Center’s email replaces the stamped copy of the verification received from DHS.
We’re your knowledgeable SBA lending partner
Prudent Lenders has a wealth of experience with citizenship clearances and other SBA lending challenges. Our goal is to consistently deliver outstanding tools, services, guidance and training for offering SBA-backed loans to your clients. Need help? Get in touch today!